Re: Stray autovacuum daemon

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Mikko Partio <mpartio(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Stray autovacuum daemon
Date: 2008-02-22 15:44:30
Lists: pgsql-admin

Mikko Partio escribió:

> Now, the problem is that I cannot turn autovacuum off! I have tried to set
> autovacuum = off at postgresql.conf with no avail. I have also tried to
> disable the vacuum by inserting rows to pg_autovacuum but still the vacuum
> processes just pop up. What's even more weird is that autovacuum is
> vacuuming the same tables over and over. No sign of xid wraparound issues
> show in the logs. How can I stop autovacuum without restarting the database
> instance?

If your database is in danger of Xid wraparound, autovacuum will run on
it no matter what you do. Check pg_class.relfrozenxid and
pg_database.datfrozenxid, and the current Xid counter (from
pg_controldata I think). Also take a look at the description of the
autovacuum_min_freeze_age param (or was it max_freeze_age? I forget).