Re: ANALYZE to be ignored by VACUUM

From: ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: "Dawid Kuroczko" <qnex42(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ANALYZE to be ignored by VACUUM
Date: 2008-02-21 04:35:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Dawid Kuroczko" <qnex42(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I am sure the idea is not original, yet still I would like to know how hard
> would it be to support local (per table) oldest visible XIDs.
>
> I mean, when transaction start you need to keep all tuples with xmin >=
> oldest_xid in all tables, because who knows what table will that transaction
> like to touch.

Per-table oldest XID management sounds good! You mean transactions
that touch no tables does not affect vacuums at all, right?
If so, the solution can resolve pg_start_backup problem, too.

I feel it is enough for standard maintenance commands.
Another solution might need for user defined long transactions, though.

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Open Source Software Center