Re: wishlist for 8.4

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Raphaël Jacquot <sxpert(at)sxpert(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: wishlist for 8.4
Date: 2008-02-14 13:30:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 07:51:31AM +0100, Raphaël Jacquot wrote:
> in fact, I got stuck in pl/pgsql with the fact that there's no way to
> access the NEW tuple in an indirect way, having the name of the column
> in some variable. (I found that it could be done in plperl, but that
> left me with a taste of un-completeness...)
>
> so, I propose the use of
>
> NEW[variable_containing_the_column_name]

It's not that simple. pl/pgsql is a statically typed language. Which
means the types of the variable aren't really allowed to change
between executions. The problem with your construct is that you can't
tell a priori what its type is.

The problem stems (I beleive) from the postgresql parser itself, since
SQL doesn't have the structure you want either, and pl/pgsql uses the
SQL parser for all the hard work. The reason why other languages can do
it is because they are typed at run-time, not compile time.

Have a nice day,