Usage of UUID with 8.3 (Windows)

From: "Sven Sporer" <ncode(at)gmx(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Usage of UUID with 8.3 (Windows)
Date: 2008-02-12 09:05:41
Lists: pgsql-sql
> > I think Windows has its own UUID generator, so the best bet would be to
> > make that work.
>
> Only if it can be made to present the same SQL-level API as we have for
> OSSP.  Otherwise we'll be faced with boatloads of platform-dependent
> client code ...

I'm just curious, but why aren't those features included in the Windows version in order to prevent platform-dependent development in that direction? The same Postgres version now essentially provides different features depending on the platform.

I understand now that you just want to provide the facilities for UUID handling (datatype). You have to agree that a function to create a v4 UUID based on a randomly generated number (see MySQL: UUID()) would be useful though.