Re: 8.3.0: vacuum full analyze: "invalid memory alloc request size"

From: Tomas Szepe <szepe(at)pinerecords(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.3.0: vacuum full analyze: "invalid memory alloc request size"
Date: 2008-02-10 18:56:45
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> After poking around in the code a bit, I found a way to reproduce the
> assert failure:
[snip]

Great!

> Another issue is that while I can create a page with
> MaxHeapTuplesPerPage dead tuples easily enough in testing, it's not
> clear how you managed to get into that state in the system catalogs.
> Neither pg_class nor pg_attribute can have minimal-length tuples.
> Are you doing anything that would involve lots of updates in these
> catalogs --- maybe repeatedly renaming a column, or something like that?

Hmm, I typically use a pair of
"ALTER TABLE table DISABLE TRIGGER USER;"/
"ALTER TABLE table ENABLE TRIGGER USER;"
per almost every relation when loading a dump, other than that there's
only the initial db creation code (lots of plpgsql triggers and a couple
immutable functions) and then using temp tables for complicated queries.

Thanks again for looking into this,
--
Tomas Szepe <szepe(at)pinerecords(dot)com>