Postgres roles

From: "Pascal Tufenkji" <ptufenkji(at)usj(dot)edu(dot)lb>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Postgres roles
Date: 2008-02-08 13:02:38
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,

I'd like to ask you a question about users, groups and roles.

In older versions of Postgres we had users and groups as two separate
entities

Our IT department at work is called "sti", that's why:

- I had a user "sti" (the username of our IT manager)

- I had a group "sti" (the group containing all the users of our
department: user1, user2.)

When we upgraded to PostgreSQL 8.2.4, came up the concept of roles; users
and groups became one entity

So now I have in my database, only one role, called "sti"

My questions are:

1. how do I identify the users assigned to this role :
(in the older version)
SELECT grolist from pg_group where groname = 'sti';

2. how do I differ granting permissions on a table to the user sti from
the whole members of the group sti
(in the older version)
GRANT SELECT ON table TO group sti;
GRANT SELECT,INSERT,UPDATE,DELETE ON table TO sti;

I'd appreciate any help regarding this issue

Pascal Tufenkji