Postgres with daemontools or similar

From: "Chuck D(dot)" <pgsql-list(at)nullmx(dot)com>
To: "General PostgreSQL List" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Postgres with daemontools or similar
Date: 2008-02-04 23:46:31
Lists: pgsql-general

Greetings everyone.

I would like to know what the correct position is on the use of Postgres with
DJB's daemontools or other monitoring prgrams?

I tried to set it up the other day and was successful in getting it to start
and log, and even refresh the config files, but I could not get it to
shutdown.

I have to assume (although possibly incorrectly) that because I was using
Apache and PHP with persistent Postgres connections, that the problem I was
seeing (via svstat, ps) was those connections refusing to shut down,
primarily because I could see no facility to include the -m fast switch and
option.

So before I go tackling this any further, is monitoring Postgres with
daemontools even a good idea? It sounds good but I have concerns how it
would handle a computer shutdown. I'm also concerned that without a method
to notify me, it could shutdown and restart a thousand times an hour and I
would never know if there was an issue. I was also looking into monit.

What is the best way to monitor the postmaster and notify or restart on
problems? What solutions have other SysAdmin's incorporated successfully?