Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Certification

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Erik Jones" <erik(at)myemma(dot)com>, "Lewis Cunningham" <lewisc(at)rocketmail(dot)com>, "Ron Mayer" <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Jean-Paul Argudo" <jean-paul(at)argudo(dot)org>, "Oleg Bartunov" <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Certification
Date: 2008-02-04 19:59:31
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 19:48:16 +0000
Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> > Right, I believe that is a valid argument. I think the real
> > problem is that as a community we are not diligent in pushing
> > people to the contextually specific lists we already have.

> I would junk pgsql-sql, pgsql-ports, pgsql-performance, pgsql-novice
> and redirect them all to pgsql-general and pgsql-docs,
> pgsql-interfaces, and pgsql-bugs and send them all to -hackers.

I could see ports going to hackers but bugs should be a bug tracker
that copies hackers or bugs.

I could see eliminating -sql, -novice and -interfaces.

-performance is a little bit tougher because it may be a -hacker issue
or an -admin issue.

Docs should absolutely be separate in order to keep the noise level
down.

> I would also suggest junking pgsql-advocacy and pgsql-www as well.
> They're mostly noise but they're noise we should be at least

Sorry but that isn't going to happen and pgsql-www is nowhere near just
noise. It is vital to the operation of the infrastructure.

> peripherally aware of and not allow to slip under the radar because
> it happens in a corner where not everyone is subscribed. That's what
> happened recently on another topic and it seems to be what's
> happening now with this certification stuff.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

PostgreSQL SPI Liaison | SPI Director | PostgreSQL political pundit