Re: Lack of docs for libpq C Library

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Pavel Golub <pavel(at)gf(dot)microolap(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Lack of docs for libpq C Library
Date: 2008-01-31 23:19:15
Lists: pgsql-docs
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > True, and Magnus was concerned about that as well.  What I liked about
> > it was the diagrams which I haven't seen anywhere else.  Our doc
> > reference is:
> >
> > 	(See http://h71000.www7.hp.com/DOC/83final/BA554_90007/ch04s02.html  for
> > 	diagrams showing SSL certificate usage.)
> >
> > I put it in parentheses to highlight the URL is only for reference to
> > the diagrams and explaination.  We can either remove the URL or remove
> > it if the URL changes.
>
> If you really like that page, you could link to archive.org's version of
> it:
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/20060903180210/http://h71000.www7.hp.com/DOC/83final/BA554_90007/ch04s02.html

Basically, given the URL has been unchanged since at least September
2006 and because it is hard to find via Google, I think we should keep
the HP URL (to give them credit) and fall back to archive.org in case
the URL ever becomes inactive.

SSL is not an easy thing to underestand so having links to good
documentation is a big plus for us.  Using that documentation I was able
to understand SSL enough to make some improvements to the SSL code that
I will apply for 8.4.