Re: OT - pg perl DBI question

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: OT - pg perl DBI question
Date: 2008-01-29 19:36:11
Lists: pgsql-general
On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 01:56:35PM -0500, A.M. wrote:
> The postgresql from eight years ago is also quite rusty.

No, it's not, which is my point.  If you don't need any of the features you
mention, and are aware of the limitations, there's nothing wrong with
using it.  The v2 protocol works, for instance, and for some applications
there's nothing wrong with it.

I wouldn't start a large project using Pg.pm right now, for sure, but I
think dismissing code you don't use on the basis that it's old is just
silly.  The reason we say "upgrade your postgresql" is not because it's old,
but because there are _known_ bugs in it, and those bugs eat data.