Re: Truncate Triggers

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Truncate Triggers
Date: 2008-01-26 19:12:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> There are also some compatibility concerns involved. If we add
> grantable privileges for TRUNCATE and/or DDL operations, then GRANT ALL
> ON TABLE suddenly conveys a whole lot more privilege than it did before.
> This could lead to unpleasant surprises in security-sensitive
> operations. One could also put forward the argument that it's a direct
> violation of the SQL spec, which after all does specify exactly what
> privileges ALL is supposed to grant.

iirc, the suggestion was to exclude the non-SQL-spec things from 'GRANT
ALL' to avoid just that issue. Having to grant TRUNCATE and/or DDL
operation permissions explicitly would be reasonable. This might create
a disconnect with what 'revoke all' does, since that should really
remove all of the perms, but I feel that's reasonable. A 'Default
secure' approach.

Thanks,

Stephen