Re: Maybe this will help, maybe it won't

From: Koen Martens <gmc(at)sonologic(dot)nl>
To: "Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum" <ads(at)pgug(dot)de>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Maybe this will help, maybe it won't
Date: 2008-01-26 13:03:17
Lists: pgeu-general

On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 12:34:59AM +0100, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 01:21:36PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 21:15:25 +0000
> > "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:
> >
> > > Things natually get organised in a hierarchical nature because it's
> > > the only way we can deal with things when there are large numbers of
> > > people involved. You yourself for example were talking only the other
> > > day about having a US parent group for the local PUGs for example.
> >
> > Yes but my arguments don't disagree with the above :)
>
> I think, they do.

Just a question, though. How is the postgresql eu group embedded in this
hierarchy? I know there is a prospect of having hierarchy below, but
above it there is nothing (going on the draft statutes).

This makes Joshua's point a valid one, i think: the pgeu is disjointed
from the postgresql hierarchy (community) at large, organisationally.

Personally, I don't mind people from the US, Kazachstan or the moon joining
the pgeu. If they are interested in postgresql's furtherance in Europe,
why not? Be glad of the help, it is such a small pond to fish anyway,
when looking for members willing and able to spend time on a volunteer
basis on these things.

Gr,

Koen