Re: Maybe this will help, maybe it won't

From: damien clochard <damien(at)dalibo(dot)info>
To: pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Maybe this will help, maybe it won't
Date: 2008-01-26 03:28:15
Lists: pgeu-general
hi

I may have a proposition that could get us out of this issue.

Not that i think the question of citizenship of the members is futile, but i
believe we'd better move forward on others issues. FOSDEM is only a few days
ahead.

As i said previously, for now the statutes don't specify any rule about
nationality, citizenship or residence of the members, because it is
**probably** illegal in France.
I'm not 100% sure and i'm a not a lawyer, so i'll try to more information
about that in next few days. What's for sure is that setting that kind of
rules will make the registration even more complicated than it is now.

However this doesn't mean we can't build an association which is limited to
some region. The statutes say explicitly that the purpose of the association
is to promote PG **in Europe**. (Article 2 :
http://wiki.postgresqlfr.org/doku.php/pgeu:statutes)

By the way  what we are discussing here is the election rules
(http://www.pgug.eu/election.txt) which are not written in the statutes and
can be easily changed by the General Assembly (GA).

For the first election, the rules says that  only "citizens who are "citizen
of an European country or have a registered main residence in a european
country" can vote to the election of the Board of Directors.

As long as it is not changed by the GA, this election rule will remain.

Looking at this, i think this situation could satisfy everyone. We
use "european only" voting in order to start quickly but this rule is not
written in stone. In fact we wait for the GA to be constituted and let the
majority of the members decide who can elect the Board of Directors.

To put it in a few words :

1/ only "Europeans" can vote to the first election @ FOSDEM
2/ the election rules can be changed at any time by the GA
3/ let's move on

Does this make sense to you ?

--
damien clochard