Re: Truncate Triggers

From: Decibel! <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Truncate Triggers
Date: 2008-01-25 17:49:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 11:40:19AM +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> (for 8.4 ...)
> I'd like to introduce triggers that fire when we issue a truncate:

Rather than focusing exclusively on TRUNCATE, how about "triggers" that
fire whenever any kind of DDL operation is performed? (Ok, truncate is
more DML than DDL, but still).

The reason I put triggers in quotes is because I'm not suggesting that
we actually put triggers on the catalog tables, since we all know that's
hard/impossible. Instead this would have to tie into command processing,
similar to what you're proposing for truncate.
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  decibel(at)decibel(dot)org
Give your computer some brain candy! Team #1828