Re: MySQL analysis

From: Decibel! <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: santiago(at)santiagozarate(dot)com, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>,Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>,PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>,Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Subject: Re: MySQL analysis
Date: 2008-01-25 06:57:00
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 01:44:15PM -0500, Jan Wieck wrote:
> On 1/20/2008 8:45 PM, Santiago Zarate wrote:
>
> >Like: If anyone buys and the licence changes... i would start a
> >fork... pick up the free code and start a new branch along with other
> >developers.
>
> As has been said many times before, buying Postgres is virtually
> impossible because the copyright isn't held by a single entity. So in
> the Postgres case, this threat doesn't exist.

Not only that, but even if someone did buy the copyright, it doesn't buy
them anything because everything is currently under BSD. You could
instantly fork the code and lose nothing.

Even if someone came along and bought the rights to the name, it still
doesn't buy much; we can just change the name.

Oh wait, we've tried that... I guess if someone bought the name we
really would be hosed! ;P
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  decibel(at)decibel(dot)org