BUG #3900: 0 byte .log files created when not using strerr

From: "Chris Hoover" <revoohc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #3900: 0 byte .log files created when not using strerr
Date: 2008-01-24 20:35:09
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 3900
Logged by: Chris Hoover
Email address: revoohc(at)gmail(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 8.3.rc2
Operating system: RHES 4.0
Details:

I am using the syslog and csvlog options in my postgresql.conf. I am
rotating the logs every hour, and every hour I get a growing .csv file in
the log_destination along with a 0 byte .log file. Since I am not logging
to stderr, the .log file should not be created.

Here is the relevent portion of my postgresql.conf file:

---
# ERROR REPORTING AND LOGGING
---

# - Where to Log -

log_destination = 'syslog,csvlog' # Valid values are
combinations of
# stderr, csvlog, syslog and
eventlog,
# depending on platform. csvlog
# requires logging_collector to be
on.

# This is used when logging to stderr:
logging_collector = on # Enable capturing of stderr and
csvlog
# into log files. Required to be on
for
# csvlogs.
# (change requires restart)

# These are only used if logging_collector is on:
log_directory = 'pg_log' # directory where log files are
written,
# can be absolute or relative to
PGDATA
#log_filename = 'postgresql-%Y-%m-%d_%H%M%S.cvs' # log file name
pattern,
# can include strftime() escapes
log_truncate_on_rotation = on # If on, an existing log file of
the
# same name as the new log file will
be
# truncated rather than appended
to.
# But such truncation only occurs
on
# time-driven rotation, not on
restarts
# or size-driven rotation. Default
is
# off, meaning append to existing
files
# in all cases.
log_rotation_age = 1h # Automatic rotation of logfiles
will
# happen after that time. 0 to
disable.
log_rotation_size = 0 # Automatic rotation of logfiles
will
# happen after that much log
output.
# 0 to disable.

# These are relevant when logging to syslog:
syslog_facility = 'LOCAL0'
syslog_ident = 'postgres'