Re: PostgreSQL is the "Database of the year"

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL is the "Database of the year"
Date: 2008-01-18 23:48:29
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 23:19:14 +0000
Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> If we beat somebody in a fair fight, we should say so. I haven't
> suggested running them down, just saying we beat them. If people don't
> know who we beat, they might just think the competition was Access and
> Ingres.
> Nothing wrong in giving a press release some teeth.

In general I agree with you. However we need to be careful here. For
example, the lead in quote we have for the 8.3 press release is from a
VP at Sun.

If it were up to me, we would never put a quote from a PostgreSQL
company in the PR. It should only be from actual users. I mean who
really cares that a PostgreSQL company thinks that PostgreSQL is great?

Let's hear from Etsy, ADP, Macrovision, Steel Rubber Products, Pagesix,
NOAA, NASA etc...

I would also note that it is likely too late to do this for 8.3.

Joshua D. Drake

- --
The PostgreSQL Company: Since 1997,
Donate to the PostgreSQL Project:
SELECT 'Training', 'Consulting' FROM vendor WHERE name = 'CMD'

Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)