Re: User group liaison

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: User group liaison
Date: 2008-01-17 16:49:37
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 17:28:18 +0100
Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:

> ok. I've honestly never really figured out what you're supposed to be
> doing as SPI liaison ;-) Or indeed how the whole
> fundraising/SPI/whatnot deal is supposed to work. I'm jst accepting
> that others say i works :-)

Put another way except for SPI, all responsibilities that have somehow
fallen in my lap are out of proactive actions not out of any official
capacity to be the point man. SPI is only assets, whether money,
hardware, books, associations etc..

> > Groups are notoriously useless as a contact point. That is why
> > there is only "one" primary contact for SPI for example. I assume
> > the PGEU group would say hey... user group people, here is your
> > primary contact point.
>
> Yes, of course. I meant how does it interface with this community
> liaison person?

I assumed they would be peers. E.g; Selena would/could handle NA.. Dave
Page would be handling EU (example). They in turn would work together
on things that made sense.

Just as when PGEU gets everything sorted and starts dealing with
dollars that I (as SPI guy) would work with Simon Riggs (example)
because he is the point man for money at PGEU.

> > No, she isn't *that* active on the lists but I am not sure how that
> > is even relevant to be honest.
>
> As long as she's active in the (global) community, it's not.

You realize of course that this doesn't make sense. Githogori for
example is a stellar and very cool community member who pretty much
never participates on list.. But is a semi-regular attender of IRC and
a regular member of SFPUG.

> I'm not saying it's not needed. Though quoting from that, maybe what
> you need is a pg-us group (or person, if you don't like groups).
> Because what you're talking about sounds a lot like what pg-eu is
> supposed to be doing for europe, no?

My understanding is PGEU == ({SPI,PGFG,Advocacy}) for EU. Also keep in
mind that the EU community is distinctly different than the US. We
likely will not have a bunch of independent user groups that are non
profits. We also don't have the cutural barriers that EU is bound to
run into.

I did say at the beginning of this thread that the person may need to
be regional. I have no problem with this being a regional thing.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

- --
The PostgreSQL Company: Since 1997, http://www.commandprompt.com/
Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
SELECT 'Training', 'Consulting' FROM vendor WHERE name = 'CMD'