Re: Purpose of the European PostgreSQL Group

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <ads(at)pgug(dot)de>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Purpose of the European PostgreSQL Group
Date: 2008-01-14 11:54:20
Lists: pgeu-general
On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 11:09:24AM +0100, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 09:29:36AM +0000, Dave Page wrote:
> > It's clear from the the discussion last night that there is some
> > confusion about the purpose of the European Group (let's call it PG-EU
> > for now).
>
> Oh yeah! A thunderbird in my mailbox.
> Even stormier than some svn commits.
>

> > The following outline is how I see the role of PG-EU, based on our
> > meeting in Prato last year and the discussion last night:
> >
> > ****************
> > PG-EU is a European organisation with two main focal areas:
> >
> > ** Umbrella organisation
> >
> > PG-EU will act as a parent organisation for regional user groups that
> > choose to join. They will gain:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > Membership of a group in PG-EU would be paid for through an annual
> > subscription, based on the number of members of the regional group.
> > Each member of the regional group is automatically given a membership
> > in PG-EU that allows them to vote and participate in PG-EU affairs.
>
> Another idea: no membership fee for persons at all.
> No regional association has to pay for members. This fee should not be
> so much money anyway, so i think, we can live with this option.
> In this case we also don't discriminate local groups because not every
> country has a group.

I don't see a problem in general with this, at all. But we then need some
other way to prevent ballot-stuffing. It's not a large risk, but it's
certainly there. And if all you have to do is to turn up at the voting day,
there is *zero* barrier if we do an email vote...

I don't think we need membership fees in order to collect money - we should
try to do that through sponsorship instead.

//Magnus