Re: Purpose of the European PostgreSQL Group

From: Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <ads(at)pgug(dot)de>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Purpose of the European PostgreSQL Group
Date: 2008-01-14 10:09:24
Lists: pgeu-general
Hello all,

On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 09:29:36AM +0000, Dave Page wrote:
> It's clear from the the discussion last night that there is some
> confusion about the purpose of the European Group (let's call it PG-EU
> for now).

Oh yeah! A thunderbird in my mailbox.
Even stormier than some svn commits.

> The following outline is how I see the role of PG-EU, based on our
> meeting in Prato last year and the discussion last night:
>
> ****************
> PG-EU is a European organisation with two main focal areas:
>
> ** Umbrella organisation
>
> PG-EU will act as a parent organisation for regional user groups that
> choose to join. They will gain:
>
> [...]
>
> Membership of a group in PG-EU would be paid for through an annual
> subscription, based on the number of members of the regional group.
> Each member of the regional group is automatically given a membership
> in PG-EU that allows them to vote and participate in PG-EU affairs.

Another idea: no membership fee for persons at all.
No regional association has to pay for members. This fee should not be
so much money anyway, so i think, we can live with this option.
In this case we also don't discriminate local groups because not every
country has a group.

> ** User organisation
>
> PG-EU will act as a user group in countries lacking a regional group
> that is part of PG-EU. Users that choose to join will gain similar
> benefits to those they might receive from regional user groups, such
> as newletters, discounted access to conferences etc.
>
> Users in countries with a regional group that is part of PG-EU, must
> join that group through which they can participate in PG-EU.

As long as they can be member in the EU group, i don't see a problem
here.

> Users that join PG-EU directly because they have no regional group to
> join are subject to an annual membership fee.
>
> Does that sound reasonable to everyone? If not, what should change and
> why? Let's discuss this and agree on a purpose statement on which to
> base our future efforts.

Seems like we have an agreement here.

Kind regards

--