Re: Timestamps without time zone

From: Achilleas Mantzios <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Timestamps without time zone
Date: 2008-01-10 08:14:22
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
Στις Wednesday 09 January 2008 22:40:11 ο/η Kris Jurka έγραψε:
> On Wed, 9 Jan 2008, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
> > Why not merge from current changes/bugfixes to the JDBC?
> > I mean 7.4 is old ok, but *officially supported* also!
> >

> From the JDBC team the last version we support is 8.0 and as Oliver has
>
> noted timestamps don't work correctly there either.  Some changes are just
> too big/dangerous to backpatch.
>
> http://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html

I tried other apps with the new postgresql-8.2-507.jdbc3.jar and some of them
break. So i will need to live with the 7.4.19 driver for a while.
One question, is there a way to get a hold of the Default TimeZone instance
of the JVM (lets call it default_TZ) and put all code that alter it in some
sort of
	synchronized (default_TZ) {
		TimeZone.setDefault(TimeZone.getTimeZone("UTC"));
		// jdbc calls here that deal with timestamps without time zone
		java.util.TimeZone.setDefault(null);
	}
block?
Any date/time/Calendar operation in java effectively tries to access the
default TimeZone.
So, the above would make the system work perfectly from a correctness point of
view (losing in parallelism of course) as a workaround until we upgrade
to 8.x when ofcourse i will have to rewrite all portions of code (among
others) that deal with timestamps without time zone.
What do you think?

> Kris Jurka

Achilleas Mantzios