Re: PQputline in BINARY mode?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pacquet(at)newsguy(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PQputline in BINARY mode?
Date: 2002-08-13 22:41:01
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

pacquet(at)newsguy(dot)com writes:
> However, this is an embedded system, so some modest amount of
> backend-hacking is quite acceptable if the payoff is large enough. Do
> you have any pointers on implementing a variant of COPY BINARY <> FROM
> file that works out of memory instead of a file?

I think what you want is to hack the fe/be protocol so you can pass
binary data in the COPY from stdin/to stdout datastream. The problem is
that the message protocol for COPY is ASCII strings (ugh). Change it to
be counted strings and away you go. (There are more changes that I want
to see in this area than that, but that should get you the functionality
you want...) backend/commands/copy.c and PQgetline/PQputline on the
frontend side are the things to look at. Also read the SGML docs'
chapter about the fe/be protocol.