Re: Spoofing as the postmaster

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>,Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Spoofing as the postmaster
Date: 2007-12-29 11:49:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 12:40:24PM +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> We already *do* allow the DBA to choose this, no? If you put the root
> certificate on the client, it *will* verify the server cert, and it
> *will* refuse to connect to a server that can't present a trusted root cert.

I think Tom's point is that we don't allow this for connections over a
Unix Domain socket. And thus we should remove the asymmetry so the
verification can work for them also.

Personally I quite liked the idea of having a serveruser=foo which is
checked by getting the peer credentials. Very low cost, quick setup
solution.

Have a nice day,