Re: Spoofing as the postmaster

From: "D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Mark Mielke <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Spoofing as the postmaster
Date: 2007-12-29 14:34:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 12:45:26 +0100
Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
> That is exactly my point. The server can never know if the client has
> actually verified anything. It can provide the client with the *means*
> to verify things, but it can't enforce it.

I know this is probably obvious to most people in this discussion and I
don't mean to impugn Magnus just because I am latching onto his message
to make this point but I suspect that this discussion would go a lot
smoother if it branches into two completely different discussions about
two completely different issues;

 - 1:  How does the client assure that the postmaster is legit
 - 2:  How does the postmaster assure that the client is legit

Does anyone think that there is one answer to both?

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>         |  Democracy is three wolves