Re: Spoofing as the postmaster

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Tomasz Ostrowski <tometzky(at)batory(dot)org(dot)pl>
Subject: Re: Spoofing as the postmaster
Date: 2007-12-23 21:31:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Dec 23, 2007 at 02:52:28PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Problem"? What we mustn't lose sight of is that that's not a bug but
> a feature. It would be completely inappropriate for us as upstream to
> destroy that property, and my fundamental objection to what Debian
> has done is that they've destroyed that property at the distro level.

I'm unsure what you think is being prevented. Debian allows parallel
installation and execution of four major releases of postgres with no
extra effort, something the standard release doesn't do. At cluster
creation time you can specify what version, what user and what location
should be used and all the clients can work with this.

> I have no problem with the admin for a single installation putting in
> things that prevent there being more than one postmaster on that
> machine. I just say that software distribution time is not the place
> for such restrictions.

Nothing is being prevented here. Things are being made possible that
are otherwise difficult.

Have a niec day,