Re: Spoofing as the postmaster

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Tomasz Ostrowski <tometzky(at)batory(dot)org(dot)pl>
Subject: Re: Spoofing as the postmaster
Date: 2007-12-23 13:55:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Dec 22, 2007 at 02:21:42PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> No, we shouldn't, and if I had any authority over them I would make
> Debian stop doing that. It amounts to a unilateral distro-specific
> change in the protocol, and I think it makes things *less* secure,
> because any clients who are expecting the socket to be in /tmp will be
> easy pickings for a spoofer. Debian cannot hope to prevent that
> scenario, because there are non-libpq-based client implementations.

Well, it's worked for many years and a little late to change now. It's
arguably safer, since only postmasters owned by "postgres" can create a
socket in that directory, any client attempting to connect to a server
using that directory knows it's connecting to a server owned by
'postgres'.

I can't think of any non-libpq clients which support Unix domain
sockets?

Have a nice day,