Re: Spoofing as the postmaster

From: "D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Spoofing as the postmaster
Date: 2007-12-22 15:04:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 09:25:05 -0500 (EST)
Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> I think at a minimum we need to add documentation that states if you
> don't trust the local users on the postmaster server you should:
>
> o create unix domain socket files in a non-world-writable
> directory
> o require SSL server certificates for TCP connections
>
> Ideas?

It's generally a bad idea to put your database on a public server
anyway but if you do you should definitely disable unix domain sockets
and connect over TCP to localhost. That has been our rule for years.

It's certainly a corner case. I would think that warnings, perhaps in
the config file itself, would be sufficient.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy(at)druid(dot)net> | Democracy is three wolves