Re: pgindent issue with EXEC_BACKEND-only typedefs

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgindent issue with EXEC_BACKEND-only typedefs
Date: 2007-12-17 14:53:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Does someone want to generate that typedef list in the future?

I would love to do that, but objdump --stabs does not work for me like
find_typedefs says it should. I only get something like:

$ objdump --stabs ../backend/postgres

../backend/postgres: file format elf64-x86-64

$ objdump --version
GNU objdump (GNU Binutils for Debian) 2.18.20071027
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License version 3 or (at your option) any later version.
This program has absolutely no warranty.

I don't know how to make it output the symbol names like it seems to do
for you.

Having the typedef list in the script itself seems like a barrier for
other people to contribute to this thing. I wonder if that can be
changed so that the typedef is on a separate list.

(Why are we still distributing pgjindent anyway?)

I am also wondering if current GNU indent is now better suited to the
task. Perhaps the bugs that it had on earlier versions have since been
fixed? I remember checking the source code size a couple of years ago
and it had grown by an order of magnitude or something like that.