Re: pgwin32_open returning EINVAL

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgwin32_open returning EINVAL
Date: 2007-12-14 15:44:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 09:55:33AM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> >
> > Many of these are nonsensical -- we know this is not a device, nor
> > network access.  Still there is more than one possibility, and I don't
> > know which ones should be really acceptable in this context or not.
> > (What's ERROR_FAIL_I24??)  SHARING_VIOLATION seems the most likely
> > problem; an antivirus perhaps?
> If you have an antivirus running on the system, you really should get rid
> of taht long before you start looking at the code...

FWIW I noticed by accident that the latest stable version of a
not-competing database system has fixed a related bug:
(yes, it only took them two and a half years to fix it).

Note that their behavior on finding SHARING_VIOLATION or LOCK_VIOLATION
is to retry forever until the error goes away, on the theory that the
antivirus/backup software will soon release the file.

Alvaro Herrera
"Someone said that it is at least an order of magnitude more work to do
production software than a prototype. I think he is wrong by at least
an order of magnitude."                              (Brian Kernighan)