Re: Press Release review comments

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Press Release review comments
Date: 2007-12-14 23:40:26
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Simon,

> Just reading the Press Release for 8.3
> http://cvs.pgfoundry.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/press/pr/releases/8.3/en/rel
>ease.txt

Note that this isn't publically accessible. People have to have CVS rights
to it. That's on purpose, because it's important that the quotes *not*
get distributed to the press before official release date -- and a couple
reporters read this list archives. Hi, guys!

> So I suggest we swap Just-in-time for Async Commit.

I don't necessarily disagree with the priorities, but your changes are kind
of untimely. That text was there for over a month of discussion -- it's
gone out to the translators already. I'm sorry to be negative when you're
trying to help, but I *begged* people to comment and correct in November.

So, do you feel that making the change is worth potentially having some of
the translated versions be inconsistent because they don't get updated?

> Lastly, the press contacts listed are all on the North American
> continent and within a few hours of each other.

That's because the version you're looking at is the one I'm going to send
out to the North American press, and is provided as an example. The one
you send out would, of course, have your and Raymond's contact info, and
the one Charles sends out would have his. To look at the *general*
version, look in 8.3/translate -- that version will get filled in with the
appropriate regional contacts for that language.

> I don't see any reason why a country has to speak a
> particular language for it to be represented either. For example the
> Japanese press release might reasonably wish to have a European contact
> also, since many businesses and their leaders speak Japanese, even if
> the countries in which they operate do not. The same thinking might
> apply to a range of other languages.

I'm not clear on what you're suggesting we do differently?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun