Re: pg_restore error

From: Ivo Rossacher <rossacher(at)bluewin(dot)ch>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_restore error
Date: 2007-12-13 20:10:19
Lists: pgsql-admin
Am Donnerstag, 13. Dezember 2007 18.06:23 schrieb Kevin Kempter:
> Hi list;
>
> We're seeing this error whern trying to restore a pg_dump file:

>------------------------------ pg_restore: ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for
> encoding "UTF8": 0x9f CONTEXT: COPY log_customer_api, line 4551 pg_restore:
> [archiver (db)] error returned by PQendcopy: ERROR:  invalid byte sequence
> for encoding "UTF8": 0x9f CONTEXT:  COPY log_customer_api, line 4551
> pg_restore: *** aborted because of error
>------------------------------

I got similar messages for several reasons:
-Restore of data dump from an older server version on a newer one. The UTF8
handling was changed several times, where mostly the older servers did accept
worng byte codings which newer servers do not anymore.
-The server was created with an other encoding then the one which created the
dump.
-The dump was edited and with it some wrong encodings did enter.

If you could provide some more details what happened I might come up with some
more ideas.

Best regards
Ivo