Re: [HACKERS] "distributed checkpoint"

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] "distributed checkpoint"
Date: 2007-12-13 01:36:31
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> Just FYI, it's going to be difficult to replace the name of the feature in
> the PR docs at this point; I already have 11 translations. What's *wrong*
> with "Load Distributed Checkpoint", which is what we've been calling it
> for 6 months?

There was nothing *wrong* with the old wording, but the new wording is
clearer? Do you disagree it is clearer? I don't think it makes sense
to keep less-clear wording just to match press release translations.

It is not like we are changing the wording 24 hours before final
release. There will perhaps be other adjustments that might be needed
for the press release. Also, the non-English press release isn't going
to match the English release notes word-for-word anyway (they aren't in
English) so is the new naming that big an issue?

I suggest you update the English press release and ask as many
translators who want to update theirs.