Re: There's random access and then there's random access

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers list <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: There's random access and then there's random access
Date: 2007-12-12 07:06:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Gregory Stark wrote:
> I could swear this has been discussed in the past too. I seem to recall Luke
> disparaging Postgres on the same basis but proposing an immensely complicated
> solution. posix_fadvise or using libaio in a simplistic fashion as a kind of
> fadvise would be fairly lightweight way to get most of the benefit of the more
> complex solutions.

It has been on the TODO list for a long time:

	* Do async I/O for faster random read-ahead of data

	  Async I/O allows multiple I/O requests to be sent to the disk with
	  results coming back asynchronously.

	  http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-10/msg00820.php

I have added your thread URL to this.