Re: Release Note Changes

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Release Note Changes
Date: 2007-12-09 19:51:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Yeah, I don't know when did that start but I would prefer that the names
> would be spelled in full. On the other hand, having a first name only
> is a kind of a sign that you're already an established developer. Still
> I would like my last name to be there and I was considering adding it
> myself.

The problem with full names is that right now the names are mostly from
frequent contributors, and hance one word. If we go with full names the
attribution becomes longer and we might decide we just want to remove
names completely.

When I started we were small so naming folks made sense, but now that we
are larger perhaps the name detracts from the polish of the release
notes and should be removed. Of course, if we do that, we have to start
a new thread and discuss it.

> > The bottom line is that the release notes for not for attribution, but
> > we do attribute if the item appears on the release notes. This seems
> > like the best balance, though it is unfair in failing to attribute work
> > to many contributors.
>
> Yeah. In my opinion, we're not really looking for 100% fairness. I
> think credit is important, so if Stefan Kaltenbrunner did some psql
> autocomplete work and it's not attributed, let's add a note to that
> effect. There is no point in saying exactly how many lines he
> contributed, nor listing the exact changes he did, though.

I do think we have demand for an "internals" section of the release
notes or a separate section on 8.3 internals, but it should list all
changes in 8.3 that are not in the main release notes.