Re: Cannot kill autovacuum

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Aldor <aldnin(at)yahoo(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cannot kill autovacuum
Date: 2007-12-04 23:01:17
Lists: pgsql-admin

Aldor wrote:
> Hint: When turning configuration for autovacuum to minimal settings
> they are recognized by the autovacuum process started from
> postmaster. The setting "autovacuum = off" - which I tried to put
> also into other areas of the conf file (to avoid that it is maybe
> not parsed corretly) - is not recognized. I also checked pg_settings
> and autovacuum is "off" - I also tried it with "false" - no change.
>
> The autovacuum process is always started some seconds after
> postmaster is started.
>
> I can see in the pg_stat_activity that autovacuum is doing some
> VACUUM on some of this tables.
>
> Any hint what I can try to disable autovacuum?

If your database is in danger of Xid wraparound, you cannot prevent
autovacuum from starting. When the autovacuum setting is off in
postgresql.conf, this is what's happening.

--
Alvaro Herrera http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/5ZYLFMCVHXC
Este mail se entrega garantizadamente 100% libre de sarcasmo.