Re: postgresql table inheritance

From: Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh(at)pop(dot)jaring(dot)my>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql table inheritance
Date: 2007-11-30 20:16:18
Lists: pgsql-general

At 03:17 AM 12/1/2007, Jeff Davis wrote:
>The impedance mismatch has more to do with the fact that the meaning of
>an application's internal data structures changes frequently (through
>revisions of the code), while data in a database needs to be consistent
>across long periods of time. So, a well-designed database will hold
>facts that have meaning in the real world and from which inferences can
>be made. Mapping application data structures (which contain context-
>sensitive information and implementation artifacts) to real-world facts
>is the impedance mismatch.

The people who try to make a database that maps so well with the
objects in a single particular program are solving a very different
problem from those of us who use a database partly as a "lingua
franca" (or "vehicular language") for many different programs and people.

The "impedance" then is unavoidable. It's not going to be easy to
change a hundred other programs anyway - probably some unknown (till
they inconveniently stop working because someone decided to "match
the impedances" with some pet program ;) ).

But anyway, I guess postgresql's "table inheritance" thing isn't
broken then just misunderstood...

Link.

One man's impedance mismatch is another man's layer of abstraction or
"comms protocol" :).