Re: .NET or Mono functions in PG

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Gevik Babakhani <pgdev(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: .NET or Mono functions in PG
Date: 2007-11-30 15:19:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 02:31:44PM +0100, Gevik Babakhani wrote:

> I am investigating the possibility of having stored procedures
> and functions written in .NET language flavors. I remember a long time
> ago there was a gborg project wanting to implement it, but that is long
> gone I guess. anyway....
>
> I think there are two possibilities:
>
> a) Use of MS.NET core and implement it only for Windows.
> b) Use of Mono core and have the possibility to run it also on *nix systems.
> c) Or perhaps a hybrid of the above would be possible.
>
> Any implementation would require to invoke/call an external runtime (Mono or
> MS.CRL).
> I wonder what the performance would be.
>
> I would like to have your opinion about this idea.

I did look at this at some earlier point as well. One big problem at that
time was that once you embedded mono, yuo had all sorts of threads running
in your backend ;-)

Another way to do it is "the PL/J" way (I think). Which is starting up a
separate process with the VM in it and then do RPC of some kind to it.
Which has more overhead per call, but lower per backend etc. And a lot less
"dangerous".

I never got past the thinking stage though. But it would certanily be nice
to have!

//Magnus