Status report on 8.3 release

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Status report on 8.3 release
Date: 2007-11-29 16:26:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wanted to give everyone an overview of where we are for 8.3. We have
addressed almost every major issue for 8.3 but we are getting a steady
stream of minor cleanups. These cleanups are vital to keep the quality
of Postgres at a high level. It allows us to make major changes in
every release but continue to produce a very reliable database system.
8.3 is going to be a watershed release, like 8.0, so it is not
surprising we have cleaning up to do. Please keep up that activity.

I expect these cleanups to continue for at least another week or two.
Once they slow we will schedule RC1. Of course, we are getting near
Christmas, so that might affect the final release schedule as well.
Based on everything above, it is likely that 8.3 final will not be until
the first week of January.

I know everyone wanted this to be a short release schedule but the
feature set just kept growing, so while we have the normal year-to-year
release schedule, we do have a blockbuster release that we can all be
proud of.