Re: Time to update list of contributors

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Time to update list of contributors
Date: 2007-11-29 15:32:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On Wednesday 28 November 2007 16:09, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Magnus,
> >
> >> We could probably do that fairly easily by just using the google maps
> >> API.
> >>
> >> We used to have a dev map, but it was individually updated. Might be
> >> easier to do now that there are services out there to do it for us..
> >
> > Yeah. Too bad we don't have access to some kind of GIS database or
> > something which we could use to generate a map. ;-)
>
> Well, we have a GIS database, but we don't have the mapping data :-P

Well, it is easy to do it via google maps API. I did this once before on my
old dev installed, which I'm pretty sure was trashed, but could be redone.
You need to store everyones lat/lon, and then generate an xml file with the
proper info, but it's not to tricky. Granted using a service based on
PostGIS would be cooler, but I've not yet seen one as simple to use as
google's stuff.

--
Robert Treat