Re: Something I don't understand on chkpass.sgml

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Something I don't understand on chkpass.sgml
Date: 2007-11-28 12:26:47
Lists: pgsql-docs
Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> I'm currently translating chkpass.sgml and I'm having problems with this
> sentence :
>   This is currently a stub that does nothing.
>
> According to answers.com, a stub is a "A small software routine placed
> into a program that provides a common function." So the sentence itself
> is understandable but I don't understand what "the stub" refers to in
> this paragraph : the error code routine ? the comparison one ? the cast
> one ?

The stub is the function that checks the strength of the password.
Currently it is a lone "return 0", so it does not checking at all (it
has been like that for 6 years).

--
Alvaro Herrera                          Developer, http://www.PostgreSQL.org/
"El miedo atento y previsor es la madre de la seguridad" (E. Burke)