Re: Can we please refuse mail to the list from list addresses?

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org,Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>,Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
Subject: Re: Can we please refuse mail to the list from list addresses?
Date: 2007-11-28 07:24:53
Lists: pgsql-www
On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 03:33:33PM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Marc,
>
> > Magnus' desire is taht all @postgresql.org would have to go *through*
> > mail.postgresql.org, not through some third party smtp server, whether
> > it is my desktop here, or authsmtp.com ...
>
> Not practical.  When I'm on the road (about 150 days a year) hotels and
> cafe wireless often block port 25 and 143.  So I absolutely have to use a
> relay or I can't send mail at all.  Also, I don't know how many of the
> regional contacts might have MUAs or local networks which don't support
> direct SMTP.

Again, I know this. Though you'd certainly not use port 25 for it, you'd
use 587 (smtp submission). I use it all the time with other domains, never
had a problem.

But again, I know this won't happen. I'm just saying it would drastically
cut spam... (I know blocking that at other domains have dropped spam with
around 60-70% *before* it hits the traditional antispam)

//Magnus