Re: Test suite fails on alpha architecture

From: Steve Langasek <vorlon(at)debian(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Falk Hueffner <falk(at)debian(dot)org>, José Luis Rivero (yoswink) <yoswink(at)gentoo(dot)org>,debian-alpha(at)lists(dot)debian(dot)org, alpha(at)gentoo(dot)org,pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Martin Pitt <martin(at)piware(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Test suite fails on alpha architecture
Date: 2007-11-25 20:50:30
Lists: pgsql-bugs
On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 02:44:23PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

> I don't have access to a machine on which the failure occurs, but
> perhaps Martin can try it.  I'd think it'd be pretty easy, say

> #include <stdio.h>
> #include <stdlib.h>

> void
> ereport(const char *msg)
> {
> 	fprintf(stderr, "%s\n", msg);
> 	exit(0);
> }
>
> int
> main(int argc, char **argv)
> {
> 	int	arg1 = atoi(argv[1]);
> 	int	arg2 = atoi(argv[2]);
> 	int	result;
>
> 	if (arg2 == 0)
> 		ereport("division by zero");
>
> 	result = arg1 / arg2;
>
> 	printf("%d\n", result);
>
> 	return 0;
> }

> cc -g -O2 -fPIC -fno-strict-aliasing -mieee -D_GNU_SOURCE bug.c
> ./a.out 1 0

> I would not be surprised at all if it's compile-switch dependent; these
> look to be the switches Martin tested with.

So strangely, when I first ran this test case I recall being able to
reproduce the SIGFPE; but now going back to it I'm getting the correct
"division by zero" output.

But postgresql still fails to build with the same errors as before.

FWIW, the first test suite failure involving floor() has been resolved now
in the glibc package in unstable.

vorlon(at)debian(dot)org                                   http://www.debian.org/