Re: plpython crash on exception

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>, Postgres Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: plpython crash on exception
Date: 2007-11-22 19:29:57
Lists: pgsql-patches

Tom Lane escribió:
> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> writes:
> > Tom Lane escribi:
> >> This patch isn't acceptable because va_copy() isn't portable.
> >>
> >> I'm kinda wondering why PLy_printf and the functions after it even
> >> exist. They look like rather poorly done reimplementations of
> >> functionality that exists elsewhere in the backend (eg, stringinfo.c).
> >> In particular, why malloc and not palloc?
>
> > See attached patch.
>
> > I didn't bother to change the PLy_malloc and friends because I think
> > that would be too much change for 8.3. PLy_realloc is gone though
> > because there are no callers left after this patch.
>
> Yeah, that is about what I was thinking too. Are you set up to
> back-patch this as far as 7.3? If so, please apply.

Yeah, I think I'm done with the patch, but the regression tests do not
work from 8.0 back in VPATH builds it seems, so I'll have to rebuild
them to check.

One problem here is that 7.3 does not have appendStringInfoVA. From 7.4
onwards there is no problem. Should I backport the code from 7.4? (On
a first try to do it I introduced a nasty bug, so it's not as easy as
a cut'n paste).

--
Alvaro Herrera http://www.advogato.org/person/alvherre
"Postgres is bloatware by design: it was built to house