Re: Get a list of ALL tables

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Kevin Kempter <kevin(at)kevinkempterllc(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Get a list of ALL tables
Date: 2007-11-20 10:30:20
Lists: pgsql-admin
Kevin Kempter wrote:
> Sorry, I meant to send this to the list:
> We have a handful of tables that are quite large and take several hours to
> vacuum. We're managing these large tables by using cron via a schedule that
> accounts for system load. I want to pull the list of all tables and exclude
> these large tables from the list, then run the vacuum on the remaining tables
> once a week to avoid transaction ID wraparound failures.

You can't do this in 8.1 -- in that release, the only way to advance the
wraparound safety point is to execute a database-wide vacuum.  You can't
exclude tables.  If you want to be able to do that you'll need to jump
to 8.2.

Alvaro Herrera
"Coge la flor que hoy nace alegre, ufana. ¿Quién sabe si nacera otra mañana?"