Re: moving from mysql to postgree

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: moving from mysql to postgree
Date: 2007-11-15 16:10:46
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 04:44:33PM +0100, Pau Marc Munoz Torres wrote:
> I'm moving from mysql to postgresql just now i I'm a bit lost, could anyone
> tell me some place with a comparative between postdresql and mysql commands,
> i think than mostly is the same think but, any way, do anything change ?

You can probably get a reasonable sense of the differences by looking at
section VI of the manual -- it's basically the "man page" version of every
SQL statement.

That said, I _very strongly_ encourage you to read the whole manual, at
least once. It's admittedly a bit of a slog, but there are a number of deep
conceptual differences between PostgreSQL and MySQL that will possibly bite
you unless you are prepared for them. Better to be prepared than to be up
at 3 AM :)

If you are not familiar with MySQL's "strict mode", then the above is even
more important. If you _are_ familiar with strict mode, then think of
PostgreSQL as strict mode done properly, and which you can't shut off.

There are also some MySQL-to-PostgreSQL comparison sites around that you'll
want to read.

Andrew Sullivan
Old sigs will return after re-constitution of blue smoke