Re: pg_ctl configurable timeout

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_ctl configurable timeout
Date: 2007-10-29 20:00:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

We need the option on Windows to prevent dependent services being started too quickly.

The same problem occurs there with pg_ctl reporting it's status to the service control manager. The scm interface handles this by having the service regularly increment a variable, and if required, updating the estimated startup time. A similar architecture might be feasible if we had the postmaster signal pg_ctl periodically until started at which point a different signal is sent. We then only timeout if no pulse or started signal is received within X seconds.

Regards, Dave

Previous:From: Teodor SigaevDate: 2007-10-29 19:27:21
Subject: pgsql: - Add check of already changed page while replay WAL.