Re: Opportunity for a Radical Changes in Database Software

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Dan <dss01Card-Offer(at)prestohosting(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Opportunity for a Radical Changes in Database Software
Date: 2007-10-25 16:08:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 08:05:24AM -0700, Dan wrote:
> In looking at current developments in computers, it seems we're nearing
> a point where a fundamental change may be possible in databases...
> Namely in-memory databases which could lead to huge performance
> improvements.

I think there are a number of challenges in this area. Higher end
machines are tending towards a NUMA architecture, where postgresql's
single buffer pool becomes a liability. In some situations you might
want a smaller per processor pool and an explicit copy to grab buffers
from processes on other CPUs.

I think relibility becomes the real issue though, you can always
produce the wrong answer instantly, the trick is to get the right
one...

Have a nice day,