Pattern for use of the alias "Postgres"

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Pattern for use of the alias "Postgres"
Date: 2007-10-25 15:32:29
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-docs

[ BCC to docs because this might affect documentation too.]

You probably remember the discussion about promoting the use of the
alias "Postgres" in addition to the official name "PostgreSQL". I have
changed the FAQ so that in paragraphs with multiple references to
"PostgreSQL" we also use the alias "Postgres".

I have talked about a similar change to our documentation and perhaps
the web site, but I am _not_ ready to discuss those.

What I want to ask about is an idea a few people have mentioned. They
don't like that we change usage in the same paragraph. The suggestion
is to mention that "Postgres" is an alias to "PostgreSQL" at the top of
the document and just use "Postgres" in the remainder of the document.

This seems like a lot more use of the alias than I though we wanted as a
group, but because several of the people suggesting this also didn't
want the alias at all, I figure I should ask and we can discuss it.

So, for the FAQ, which currently uses the second-entry-per-paragraph
logic, should it be changed to the logic suggested above where every
mention but the first is "Postgres"? (This will of course affect the
documentation changes when we are ready to discuss those.)