Re: Example non-Latin words for text search parser docs?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Example non-Latin words for text search parser docs?
Date: 2007-10-21 22:08:57
Lists: pgsql-docs
Tom Lane wrote:
> I'm afraid my English-centricity is showing, but I could use a little
> help filling in the missing examples in the table here:
> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/textsearch-parsers.html
> I'm not sure of a suitable example all-non-ASCII-letters word,

It's easy to find an example -- I went to the english Wikipedia,
searched for "elephant", then clicked on the russian link at the left.
It gives you "Слоновые", which I see on my terminal as a series of black
squares :-) so there's not a single latin letter in it.

http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A1%D0%BB%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%BE%D0%B2%D1%8B%D0%B5

In that page they also mention the word "Слон" which looks like "Slon".

> and even less sure of how to represent it in SGML.  (I remember we had
> quite a bit of trouble dealing with accented letters in people's
> names, for instance.)

Yeah, that will prove difficult.