Re: 8.2.3: Server crashes on Windows using Eclipse/Junit

From: "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: "Laurent Duperval" <lduperval(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.2.3: Server crashes on Windows using Eclipse/Junit
Date: 2007-10-17 05:20:56
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

> Hi,
>
> Sorry for top-posting but since I am answering questions that don't all
> appear in this message:
>
> - I installed the default download of Postgres. I didn't compile myself,
> so it's probably the mingw version

It is.

> - Max_connections is set to 500. I did that originally because I kept
> seeing a message about no connection available and I thought it was
> because I was not allocating enough connections. My machine has 2GB of RAM.

There's your problem. 500 is way above what the windows version can handle. IIRC the hard max is somewhere around 200 depending on some OS factors that we don't entirely know. I'd never recommend going above 100-150. With no more than 2Gb ram, not above 100.

You'll ned to figure out what's eating all your connections - it sounds like it's not entirely expected. Perhaps conections are leaked somewhere?

> - How do I determine what DLL is failing and what is causing it to fail in
> its initialization routine?

You really can't in this case, but if you could it wouldn't help you. It's windows running out of global resources.

/Magnus